Wednesday 16 January 2013

Introductions



Hello Readers,

My name is Samantha Chan. I am a fourth year student at the University of Western Ontario studying Visual Arts and Biology. This blog is created as a class assignment for my Histories of Urbanism and Architecture course. It is meant to be a place to express my views and analyze examples of the built form, specifically architecture and urbanism. Although I only have a basic understanding of architecture and urbanism, I am very intrigued by the various topics that will be addressed within the course. After taking a geography course regarding Africa South of the Sahara, it has opened by eyes to how advanced and urbanized parts of these countries actually are. This really made me realize how urbanism has expanded over time. I am excited to share with you my perspective of the history of urbanism and architecture and how it has affected the world we live in today.

To get to know more about what styles of architecture I am most inspired by, I have chosen to include an image of Hotel Dubai Burj Al Arab in Dubai. Although I have seen many plans and video animations of what the future of Dubai could look like, I think this structure made the world notice that these buildings, although some completely outrageous, could actually be achieved.
  Thanoslim. Burj Al Arab. 2009. http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Middle_East/United_Arab_Emirates/West/Dubai/Dubai/photo1390999.htm


Maryam Monalisa Gharavi. Burj Al Arab. 2012. http://thenewinquiry.com/blogs/southsouth/semeiotic-dubai-peirce-and-pop-architecture/
Created by British architecture, Tom Wright, the 1,053 feet structure was completed in 1999. It stands on an artificial island called Jumeirah. To get to the island and hotel from the mainland, a private causeway can be taken. It is interesting how the structure of the building resembles the sail of a type of Arabian vessel. The client wanted a building that would become the symbol of Dubai, just like how the Eiffel Tower and Big Ben are the symbols for Paris and London. I think the ambitious architecture of the hotel has achieved this recognition it wanted to achieve.

Overall, I find this building to be one of the most innovative structures today. I believe it is important to continue to keep an eye on the structures created in Dubai. They are truly revolutionizing architecture and urbanism.

Dexter, David, and Tom Wright. “Burj Al Arab Hotel Duba: Information + Images.Accessed January 16, 2013. http://www.e-architect.co.uk/dubai/burj_al_arab_tower.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment